.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Crow's Nest

A bird's-eye view of the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Adena, Ohio, United States

Monday, October 31, 2005

Dog Training

Today I started a training regimen for our Anatolian Shepherd/Great Pyrenees cross dog, Phantom. It's finally cool enough to go outside at any time of day, so that I can train him during either of Tiger's two naps.

He's had a little bit of work over the summer, enough that he doesn't freak out when leashed and he'll sit on command most of the time. He's still reluctant to walk very far from his goats, though. It's definitely a workout to drag a hundred pound dog who doesn't want to walk. Of course he gets lots of praise and a loose leash when he walks by my side.

I really should have started training him when he was a puppy, but his breeder told us to handle him as little as possible so that he'd remain attached to his goats. Eventually I did a bit of research and found that that advice is best if the dog will be left alone with his flock in a range situation. There wasn't much information about training a livestock guard dog in a small farm situation, where the land is fenced and the dog is expected to guard everything, not just the livestock. The few accounts I found seemed to indicate that it was preferable to have a well-trained dog in that situation, and that his guarding abilities would be improved, not hindered, by developing a strong bond with his owners.

I also have to take into consideration the fact that we will be moving next summer. Whether we are able to take Phantom with us or we have to sell him, either option will go more smoothly if he is obedience trained.

And so I'm setting out to instill in Phantom the basic obedience lessons of Heel, Sit, Stay, Down, Stand and Come. If I consistently work every day, he should be solid on Heel, Sit, Sit-Stay, Down, and Down-Stay by the end of November.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home