.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Crow's Nest

A bird's-eye view of the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Adena, Ohio, United States

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Sewing Machine Woes, Part 1

Or, ACE is (not) the place!

My sewing machine is an anvil. It is a 1962 Model 90 Kenmore with a very nice cabinet. Back then they built things to last, and this sewing machine is no exception. The only problem is that I am missing two little screws that keep the machine from falling out of the cabinet when it is folded down.

Recently I discussed this machine at an online forum, and the resulting conversation motivated me to find replacement screws so that I can finally close the cabinet.

The user manual was little help. It referred to them as "hinge screws" in the section on how to install the machine in the cabinet, but then never mentioned them again. There were no part numbers or illustrations to help me with my quest.

So this morning I left Tiger with Corvus and hauled the fifty pound chunk of metal down to the nearest ACE hardware store. Several months ago, my mother had bought several different sizes of screws from ACE, but none of them fit. I wanted to be sure I got the right kind this time.

Soon after entering the store, with my sewing machine stashed in a shopping cart, I found two employees standing next to the screw section. They both became quite excited when I told them what I was looking for, and immediately started opening drawers and pulling out different kinds of screws. Terms such as machine screws, threads, and metric were bandied about. They debated whether the sewing machine had possibly been manufactured in Europe. I just stood back, nodded and smiled.

After about ten minutes, they slowly ran out of steam. Not one screw had fit. They apologetically told me that my best bet would be a sewing machine repair shop. One suggested Cathey's Vac and Sew. I assured them that I appreciated their efforts, and headed back to my car.

I didn't have time to go all the way into town, because I needed to be back when Tiger's morning nap had ended. Cathey's Vac and Sew would have to wait for another opportunity.

Will Mel finally find her missing screws? Be sure to read "Sewing Machine Woes, Part 2" to find out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home