.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Crow's Nest

A bird's-eye view of the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Adena, Ohio, United States

Thursday, September 01, 2005

TriMoNaNo, Day 1

During Tiger's first nap I sat down and pounded out the first 1000 words of my novel. Actually, it was 1062 words to be exact, and it took just over an hour to complete. After about 300 words I was getting the strong urge to go do something else, but I forced myself to continue. At around 750 words I really got into the flow of it and the last 300 words were a piece of cake.

My rule is that I can't stop writing until I finish 1000 words and the scene that I'm currently working on. I'm not allowed to stop in the middle of a scene, even if I have already hit the day's wordcount goal. This way I will get into the habit of finishing scenes, even if they are longer than I had expected.

Only two scenes into the prologue of the novel, and already I have been inventing cool things about the Faerie realm that will become important later. This is why outlining never works for me: I am at my most creative when I'm simply writing; outlining is too analytical. I have a one page synopsis of the plot that I developed through the snowflake method, and a handful of important characters. Overall, I know where the story is going, but it's going to be an interesting ride getting there.

2 Comments:

Blogger Deanna said...

YAY!!! It's started! Why am I trolling blogs instead of writing? Procrstination?

I am glad to hear that you are off and running with the TriNaNo though... now to kick myself into gear!

September 2, 2005 at 8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go, Mel! Keep it up.

September 2, 2005 at 12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home