.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Crow's Nest

A bird's-eye view of the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Adena, Ohio, United States

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Relatives can breathe a sigh of relief...

...because they don't have to worry about getting Pickled Devil's Claw for Christmas anymore. A few nights ago we decided to try some of the devil's claw to see what they tasted like. I whipped up some tasty cajun batter and fried them like okra. Oh my, they were bitter. I couldn't eat them, although Corvus said that with ranch dressing they were edible.

I really doubt that pickling them will improve the flavor, so I think I'll just compost the rest. Supposedly you can eat the dried seeds from a fully-ripened devil's claw, so we'll probably try that later in the season.

However, the prickly pear juice actually tastes pretty good. I bought some pectin and will try making jam this weekend. So you're not off the hook yet. You may get prickly pear jam for Christmas instead.

4 Comments:

Blogger Deanna said...

Mel, I just checked out your blog today, and I am enjoying the read.

Do you mind if I link to you on my blog?

August 11, 2005 at 5:40 PM  
Blogger Mel, Foxtail Farm said...

Feel free. Thanks for stopping by, Dea.

August 11, 2005 at 8:34 PM  
Blogger Poppasan said...

Um . . . where do you get fresh devils?

August 13, 2005 at 9:16 PM  
Blogger Mel, Foxtail Farm said...

I live in southern Arizona...they're just outside the back door.

August 14, 2005 at 9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home