.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Crow's Nest

A bird's-eye view of the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Adena, Ohio, United States

Saturday, August 27, 2005

Writing a Novel in 60 Days

A writing site that I belong to, Notebored, will be hosting a three-month novel writing session. It is based on the concept of NaNoWriMo, or National Novel Writing Month, which takes place in November each year. Participants sign up to write 50,000 words of a brand new novel in the month of November. Those who make it get their names on the list. It is a fun way to force a novel out of your psyche and onto paper.

One of the Notebored members had this to say: "If I can write a really bad novel in one month, what about spending three months on it to make it good?" And so, TriMoNaNo has been born. Currently 14 people have signed up to spend September, October, and November writing a novel of at least 50,000 words. A small group of us (myself included) have an even bigger goal: to write the TriMo novel in the first two months, and then jump into NaNoWriMo in November with a completely new story. If all goes well, we will then have completed two novels in three months. We probably won't be coherent by the end of it, but there you go.

So beginning in September, my posts will probably be limited to daily wordcounts and not much else. My goal is 1000 words per day in September, 1500 words per day in October, and 2000 words per day in November. Yikes!

But this isn't as bad as it seems. Earlier today I wrote over 700 words in 45 minutes for a writing challenge. That works out to about 1000 per hour. So if I work during Tiger's two naptimes every day, I should be fine. Plus, my speed should improve as I get used to writing that much in one sitting.

Only four more days to go. It's going to be quite the ride.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck! It's terrible, but I still haven't decided if I'm doing either. Guess I'd better get cracking. I hope you've already got whatever planning you wanted to do for the November novel done; you probably won't feel like doing too much with it in the next two months!

August 27, 2005 at 4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home