.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Crow's Nest

A bird's-eye view of the world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Adena, Ohio, United States

Monday, August 07, 2006

Farm Work

Tiger spent last Thursday, Friday, and Saturday with her grandparents, so Corvus and I spent a lot of time out at the land. Earlier in the week, he had hired a guy to rototill about a third of an acre, so he was busy planting. Here are a few photos of the freshly tilled area.





I spent the time building a fence around the garden area. Eventually we plan to have all of the land fenced, but for now that's the most important section. Thursday I spent the entire day driving T-posts into the ground. At the end of the day I had put 65 of them in, and only needed two more to complete the circuit.

Several months ago, I had seen in a catalogue T-post brace adaptors, that allowed you to brace a corner T-post with other T-posts. That seemed like a good solution, so I asked the farm supply store if they carried them. The guy at the counter was very disparaging of them, saying that they weren't strong enough to support woven wire fencing. So I decided to go with the traditional braced wooden post corner. This meant that I had to pull out three T-posts at each corner and dig three post holes. I spend Friday doing that.

Saturday, we only planned to work a half day, so I managed to completely finish one corner. Here is a photo.



I have three more corners plus the sides of a gate to build. After that, Corvus and I will have to work together to attach the woven wire fence.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mel,
Sounds familiar. You ought to be getting pretty darn good at fence building by now. Good luck lady. We're thinking of you three and praying.

August 10, 2006 at 2:46 PM  
Blogger Sean Markey said...

Hey mel, it's me (leaf) from LH and NB. Just wanted to say I'm jealous of your creek! Muddy or not...

September 27, 2006 at 12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home